My favorite version: when I use oregano and onion and garlic fresh from the garden, home-cooked beans, and pasture-fed chicken roasted at home.
Football Soup – White Chili
- 1 T Olive oil
- 4 Garlic cloves, minced
- 2 t ground cumin
- ¼ t cayenne pepper
- 1 medium onions, chopped
- 2 – 4 oz cans chopped green chilies
- 1 ½ t dry oregano, crumbled
- 6 c chicken broth
- 3 – 16 oz cans great northern beans, undrained
- 4 c cooked chicken, chopped or cubed
- 3 c grated Monterey jack cheese
- Heat the oil in a large pot on medium high; add onions and sauté for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic, chilies, cumin, oregano, and cayenne and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add the beans and chicken stock and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat.
- Add the cooked chicken and cheese and stir until the cheese melts.
This soup freezes quite well! Simply thaw it in the refrigerator overnight and reheat when ready to serve.